It’s January 1! In this post, I look forward to a new year filled with opportunities and excitement. The biggest question, I am sure many of you have been asked today is, what is your New Year’s Resolution?!?!
For me, a few come to mind:
- When I have to write a date, I have a terrible habit of writing the previous year. If you receive a report or email from me during the month of January, there is a great chance it will say 2018. I need to remember 2019! 2019! 2019! 2019! My goal will be to write the correct year, 2018 🙂 .
- I can be incredibly shy in person, especially when I don’t know anyone around me. The exception to this rule is when I am participating in karaoke after 5 p.m. Conferences can make me retreat quite a bit. It does not come natural for me to walk up to strangers at a conference and make conversation. I usually find a table and sit in silence until some random opportunity for conversation presents itself. It will be my goal, at #ELGL19 in Durham, to try to meet as many new people as possible. If you see me help me out; come over and say hi!
- I always wanted to get a master’s degree. My original goal was to get it done before I turned 30. When I was 29, I realized I had not applied to school and I would not make my goal. I revised my goal to apply to graduate school before 30. When I was accepted into graduate school, I decided to get my master’s degree by age 31. This June, if all goes as planned, I will receive my MPA with an emphasis on Government and Policy.
- I will write my Morning Buzz posts on or before the day they are due. Since it is January 1, and you are reading this, so far so good!
- I will become a better storyteller. I‘m not the biggest fan of telling personal stories. I can be dry, technical and boring sometimes.
- I will make time for fun. If my SnapChat, Instagram or Twitter ever get dry and super boring, I need to do better! 🙂
- I will continue to ride around on my electric Razor scooter and fly my drone; so long as they are both still legal.
- I will play at least one epic game of Monopoly or Risk. Until the end…or at least until I win/lose the game.
- I will go camping a few times this year.
- I will go to at least one music festival (preferably EDM)!
- I will keep my eyes open for new opportunities to grow, learn and prosper.
- I will be nice to people. Even when I don’t feel like it :-).
- I will meaningfully contribute to local government. Whether it be big or small.
- And last but not least, I will remain optimistic.
What are your New Year’s Resolutions? Let me know with #ELGLResolutions
I would love to hear your thoughts in public, private or anonymous. #MorningBuzz