ELGL is grateful to be included in the ICMA conference call about advancing women and minorities within local government. ICMA students chapters from around the nation are participating. The panel discussion includes:
- Pat Martel, City Manager of Daly City, CA and ICMA President
- Dawn Ashbacher, Town Manager of Sykesville, MD
- Joe McRae, Director of Parks and Recreation for Cleveland Heights, OH
- Kent Wyatt, Senior Management Analyst for Tigard, OR and co-founder of ELGL
- Mary Furtado, Assistant County Manager of Catawba County, NC
Call to Action
- Complete this three question survey.
- Raise awareness by sharing your experience.
- Challenge your MPA programs, employers, professional associations by asking for specific actions that they are taking to encourage diversity and inclusion.
- Join ELGL – It’s free for students.
For those participating in the call or interested parties, here’s a summary of ELGL’s work in advancing diversity and inclusion.
Diversity and Inclusion Survey Results
- Impediments to Increasing Diversity and Inclusion Are…
- State of Diversity in the Local Government Workforce Is
- Diverse People Influence Decisions in Government
- What Else You Should Know About Diversity and Inclusion
- Survey Diversity And Inclusion In The Local Government
- Video: Moving Past 1984, Moving Toward Solutions
Columns on Gender
- Glacial Pace: State of Women Managers in Local Government
- Report: Male City Managers Serve Longer Tenures Than Females
- Our Missing Leaders by Mark Funkhouser, Publisher of GOVERNING
- #13Percent: Using Data to Improve Diversity and Inclusion
- #13Percent: Would This Be a Concern if I Were a Man?
- #13Percent: The Forecast Calls for Changes
- #13Percent: Fight Like Hell Dammit, and Win!
- Pushed or Pulled? Responses to the Push/Pull Survey
- #13Percent: Playing a Boys’ Sport
Columns on Race
- Part IV: Countering the Ignorance of Racism
- Part III: “You Sound White”
- Part I: The Influence of Pop Culture on Racial Identity
- Part II: “No Blacks are Allowed at My Birthday Party”
- Celebrate the Memory of MLK
- Refusing to Stay Silent
- #13Percent: Let’s Talk About Race
- The Time Is Now….Become an Advocate for Diversity in Local Government
- From Hired Help to Heads of Government
- #13Percent: We Need Charade Ninjas
- Empowering Minority Communities in the Decision Making Process
What’s Being Done
- How diverse is the City of Portland workforce?
- View the demographics of the Portland workforce
- Two Columbias: City manager reveals strategic plan for 2016-2019
- Dayton to offer paid parental leave