The votes are in and the results have been tabulated: after a week of nominations and voting by our community, ELGL is thrilled to announce the winner of the Knope of the Week! As a reminder, The Knope of the Week honors individuals or groups who have done the most in the past week to advance the mission of ELGL.
Without further ado, the winner of the 21th Knope of the Week goes to the . . . .
Bryan Cosgrove, Wilsonville City Manager
Marty Wine, Tigard City Manager
Michael Brown, Hillsboro City Manager
We have a feeling this won’t be the last time that these three are recognized for their commitment to promoting the local government profession. All three were extremely candid in their remarks at the ELGL forum which provided attendees with a renewed sense of commitment.
Key takeaways from the panel:
- Never accept the notion of “good enough for government.”
- “Be yourself” is the key to successful interviewing.
- Operate under the notion that the first answer is often wrong.
- As a manager, picture yourself at the bottom of the organization chart working to help those above you.
- Work to create an internship program within your organization.
- Good to Great, Tipping Point, Freakonomics, and Worldly Philosophers are recommended reads from the panel
Previous Knope of the Week Recipients
- Chris Workman, City of Veneta
- Portland Timbers (Mike Golub, Chelsey Cossey, Patti Peters, Amber Browne)
- Anthony Petchel, Bank of the Cascades
- Claire Oliver, West Linn Tidings
- Phil Keisling, Director of Portland State University Center for Public Service
- Geoff Pursinger, Tigard Times
- Ken Ray, Metro Senior Public Affairs Coordinator
- Alliance Resources Consulting, Colin Baenzinger and Associates, Strategic Government Resources, Waldron & Associates
- OMFOA Developing Professionals (Heidi Starks, Rhyan Van Horn, Toby LaFrance)
- Justin Cutler (LaPine Parks & Rec), Robyn Christie (Bend), Kirsten Wyatt (West Linn)
- Rhyan Van Horn, TriMet senior accountant
- ELGL Advisory Board
- Cate Schneider, Lake Oswego city recorder
- Alex McIntyre, Lake Oswego city manager
- Matt Bailing, Willamette graduate, ELGL data analyst
- Megan Messmer, PSU MPA student, City of Banks intern, City of Dayton intern
- Zoe Monahan, Sherwood assistant planner
- Rosalynn Greene, Clackamas County sustainability analyst and Karen Pearson, Clackamas County human resources program coordinator
- Kathy Mollusky, West Linn city recorder
- Jordan Wheeler, Lake Oswego assistant to the city manager
Knope of the Week Acceptance Speeches