This ELGL award honors the top local government places.
Each year, the Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL) network celebrates the best places in local government. Affectionately known as the #ELGLKnope, this recognition program is designed to showcase and celebrate the places that local government maintains and manages. In prior years, we've honored city halls, parks, libraries, and water facilities.
In 2022, we're celebrating the best historic and cultural sites managed or supported by local government. We know that local governments are on the front lines of finding ways to honor history while also reflecting the reality of that history. This is an opportunity to promote community pride, educate about a historic site/place, and honor the work that has been done (and will be done) to tell our community stories.
Nominations are accepted in January and February, with a bracket-style voting program beginning in March. Voting in March is an excellent way to engage your community to celebrate local government! Full program and nomination details available at ELGL.org/knope. Nominations due by February 25, 2022.
- In 2017, we honored the best city hall buildings.
- In 2018, we honored the best libraries.
- In 2019, we honored the best parks.
- In 2020, we took a COVID-19 break.
- In 2021, honored the best water facilities.
- In 2022, we'll honor the best local government cultural and historic sites!
- Congrats to the City of Boulder, CO and Chautauqua Park for winning the 2022 Best Places in Local Government Award!
Want to help us get the word out about the Best Places in Local Government Award?
Check out this year's Media & Outreach kit complete with sample social media posts and copy for your email newsletters, website, and personal emails.
If you're not yet an ELGL member, sign up today!
2022 Best Places Award Winner
2022 National Championship Best Places
2022 Final Four Best Places